Monthly Archives: March 2012
I know what you are thinking… the sun is shining, it is unseasonably warm for March in the UK and everyone should surely be outside soaking up the sun rather than slaving away in the office? Well, it’s nice if you have that opportunity but for those of us that are still working hard whilst the weather is at its best there are plenty of reasons why you can turn the sun to your advantage. Take SEO for example – it’s not just lots of pasty geeks sitting in a darkened room spending 12 hours a day in front of several monitors – it is a truly adaptable and versatile industry and at SEO it Right we welcome the sunshine on our days at work and this is why:
1) The sunshine brings out the best in people – they smile, they laugh and they make purchases – whether it is summer clothes, padding pools or holidays abroad – many of these purchases will be transacted online thus increasing the need for superbly functional and eye catching websites that can be found online using related search terms – cue SEO!
2) The start of the summertime can often herald the start of new things for businesses and what better way to move forward this year than by making sure potential customers can find your website when they search for the products or services you sell?
3) Sunlight helps plants, fruits and vegetables to grow so anyone selling these items may have more stock than usual if we have lots of warm balmy days – so how can they let their customers know about this? Well SEO and associated services such as email marketing and social media marketing are a great way to let people know that you have a special offer on thanks to a bumper crop!
There are so many others ways in which the sun is good for all of us and yet the main reason I can think at the moment is that it is so nice to sit in the office with the sun at my back and the cool breeze circulating 🙂
So wherever you are working on this warm March day remember that the sun is good for business as well as you!
For more information on our SEO services please visit seo-it-right.co.uk
Posted by Frances Berry
If you’ve read anything about SEO lately then you have most probably come across the mumbles and grumbles of so-called SEO experts in response to the latest updates from Google. Some of the major link building networks have been effectively brought down over the last few days and this de-indexing is no doubt causing a lot of headache for those SEO Birmingham companies that had managed to achieve high search engine ranking positions for their clients using these low grade, quick link building techniques.
It has been a year since the Panda update and this latest update will come as no surprise to those of us who have our ears to the ground to listen out for any signs of rumbling from the might beast that is Google, but sourcing all of your links from one blog network is not good SEO practice and clearly Google has had enough of it.
Fear not though because at SEO it Right we do SEO the right way (or else let’s face it we would be called SEO it Wrong!) – even when that means constantly adapting our SEO strategy to meet the ever changing requirements of the search engines. Our R&D department here is second to none and if changes are afoot you can be sure that we are at their heel.
Question – So what is Google now looking for?
Answer – Websites need to focus on high quality content, that has been put together by an SEO copywriter (with equal emphasis on each – you cannot have a site written with SEO in mind but neither can you consider not having it written by a copywriter who knows how to write informative, unique and interesting copy) to attract links naturally. Links need to come from diverse sources and if you’re not sure if yours do check out the number of referring domains in comparison to the number of backlinks you have.
Posted by Frances Berry
SEO is great…no, scrub that, SEO is fantastic. It is quite literally what is making and growing businesses at the moment and anyone who shuns SEO, apart from being a fool, has clearly not thought about the repercussions of ignoring the vast potential of the online marketplace. Ignoring SEO is a bit like saying ‘no, I don’t want any more customers thanks’ and let’s face it who honestly wants to do that?
However, despite the greatness of SEO there are still some shady tactics and SEO operators out there who if you don’t do your homework could not only take away vast sums of your money for little or no return on your investment but could also do devastating things to your website that may lead to you being penalized by the search engines. So what are the five things that you or your SEO Birmingham company need to avoid doing?
- Paying for links – in a sense all SEO is paying for links in that your SEO provider should be building up the number of backlinks to your website from a wide variety of domains, however buying links just in itself is a bad idea so make sure you know where your links are coming from.
- Cloaking – this is where search engines and human visitors to a website both see different things. Sending a text-heavy version of your site to search engines whilst visitors see an image-led site is seriously frowned upon and could lead to penalisation
- Stuffing your pages full of keywords – the idea that the more times a keyword appears in the content of a page the more relevant the search engines will find it is so old hat that it is positively a bowler hat on a city gent (yeah, exactly – ancient!) so avoid shoving tons of keywords into your copy and instead write interesting, factual and persuasive copy that will entice your visitors and include only a few keywords strategically placed so that they read well as part of the overall copy.
- Hiding text – Much like point 2 the practice of hiding text – usually keyword-stuffed and concealed perhaps by including text that is the same colour as your page background so only the search engines can see it is bad SEO practice – it won’t help your site in the rankings in fact it could well lead to penalisation so make sure all text is visible and that it is well written and unique.
- Copy and paste – tempting isn’t it to copy and paste text from another website that offers a similar product or service to yours? Tempting it may be but if you can’t write it yourself or have your site professionally written by a copywriter don’t bother at all. Copying from another site is a bad move – the search engines aren’t stupid and they can see copied content and where you’ve copied it from so your site could be penalised for literally stealing words from someone else. Surely your business/website is unique or you wouldn’t have set it up in the first place? So, don’t get that far and then ruin it by copying content from elsewhere!
There are many ways in which you can remain SEO savvy even when you are paying for the privilege of SEO services and by asking the right questions you can make sure your site stays safe and performs well.
Posted by Frances Berry