If your website has been affected by the recent Google algorithm updates Panda 3.5 or Penguin then here are a few pointers as to what Google is now looking for:
- The more keywords the better – successful SEO is moving away from optimising static keywords to static pages to instead focus on lots of different keywords that are relevant to the product/service being promoted. Think of synonym keywords as a good starting point i.e. rather than just optimising plumbing birmingham to your plumbing services page also consider plumbers in birmingham, birmingham plumbing, birmingham plumbers, plumbing services birmingham, etc
- Mix and match keywords and landers and make the most of all internal URLs – rather than pointing all keywords to your homepage or using the same keyword in the anchor text to the same page all the time, it is best to mix things up. Whilst it is ok to point some of your more generic keywords to the homepage these keywords should also be optimised for relevant internal pages. Also maximise use of all internal pages by optimising them for other keywords.
- Use naked backlinks (and no, this isn’t anything rude) – it basically means creating backlinks to the website which do not have any anchor text but instead use the URL of the site.
- It’s quality not quantity – it is no longer a case of how many backlinks you have but how high the quality of these links is. By linking from high authority domains you can increase the quality of your backlinks.
- Contextual links are more important now than ever – it is really important that any keywords used on page are in context and if you are linking internally to another page that the links used are in context and don’t stand out like a sore thumb. The same goes for keywords in any SEO content – these must be used contextually and not just added in as an afterthought because Google is now placing the emphasis on natural backlinks and natural-looking SEO.
- Social and SEO go together – it is really important that any backlinks created to your website are of a wide variety of types including social backlinks and social bookmarking links. Social integration is not an important part of SEO these days it is a vital part of SEO.
- Open a Google + account – Google is the search engine with the power and if they look more kindly on those who utilise Google + then anyone who shuns it is a fool. It goes without saying that all social interaction is important but Google + is tipped to become the biggest and most widely used social tool. Having a Google Plus 1 button on your site is also a good idea – it allows people to publicly give your site their stamp of approval and share it with others.
- It’s all about the visitor experience – including meta information such as titles and descriptions is something that needs to be done but even more so content needs to be written to encompass keywords and also more importantly the ideas around these keywords so that links can be contextual and relevant and so that the visitor can read interesting and unique information about the business and the products/services it provides.
- No more spam – link farming, buy-in-bulk links, text links, forum links and blog comments are considered to be spammy links now and you ought to steer well clear of these if you want to make a good impression on Google!
At SEO it Right we are always striving to do our SEO in the most effective way and you can be sure that we are doing all of the above in our quest to get your website where it needs to be. To find out more please visit www.seo-it-right.co.uk or call us today on 0121 288 2787 for further information.
Posted by Frances Berry