SEO it Right Ltd
On the 30th of April, SEO it Right will celebrate 6 years in business. Having first been set up as a specialist SEO company by our Directors Adam and Frances Berry, we have now evolved into a digital marketing agency, offering a wide range of content marketing, SEO, social media, PR and paid advertising solutions to small businesses all over the UK. One thing that has stayed the same is that we still find any excuse for cake!
To celebrate our 6th birthday, we have put together a list of 6 tips to help you build your online presence.
1. Decide on your goals
Firstly, it’s important that you establish your goals for both the short-term and long-term future. With these goals in place, as you create a strategy to grow your online presence, you can regularly turn to your goals to see how your online efforts are helping you to move forward. Rather than just building an online presence because you’re expected to, be sure to build your presence strategically so that you can work towards your business goals as a whole.
2. Build a solid website
To develop your online presence, to start with you will need a solid platform, i.e. a great website. Your website is a central place where people can learn more about your business, find out how to contact you and engage with your content.
Your website should:
- Say what your business is about in a clear message
- Contain all of your contact information
- Be optimised for search engines (SEO)
- Be mobile and user friendly
3. Provide value for your audience
Make sure the content that you are publishing is valuable to your audience. Whether this be on your website, through your social media channels, videos or a podcast, make sure that your content is of a consistent quality and provide your audience with useful information. Be the solution to their problems.
4. Be social
The internet allows you access to a huge audience. Social media can be a hugely effective way to reach your target audiences.
Being social means that you should work out which social media platforms work best for your business and regularly post and engage. As with creating any online content, consistency is important; you should develop a consistent voice and continue to provide the same value for your customers. Using social media effectively can help you gain fans and followers and once you have gained an audience, social is also a fantastic way to reach and engage the followers that have developed trust in you and like your brand. The more conversations you can draw up with your audience, the stronger the relationships that you build.
5. Always look to improve
There’s no way that your marketing materials will be perfect straight away, so don’t be afraid to publish! Your content will improve with every piece that you create if you are continually looking for ways to improve and optimise what you do. It’s a long process to work out exactly what does and doesn’t work – even the big brands are still learning from their mistakes, big or small.
6. Track your progress
Tracking your progress is the best way to know if your efforts for building your online presence are working. Be sure to track website visits, social media follows and engagement, look for spikes in traffic and look for trends.
To find out more about how we can help you to develop your business’s presence online, or to learn more about the range of digital marketing services we can provide, feel free to call us on 0121 308 0219 and our team will be happy to help.
In the world of online marketing, SEO has developed a terrible reputation. There is good reason for this. Alongside the hard working online marketers who thrive by working alongside their clients to create the right campaign for their business, there are also thousands of shady characters that are ready to ride in and scam businesses large and small out of massive amounts of money. These SEO Cowboys are tarnishing the good name of all other search marketers.
The question is, who are these Cowboys? Unfortunately, they can be hard to spot. It is unlikely that they ride a horse, there is little chance that they will announce themselves with the clinking of their spurs, and though they use black hat tactics to rob good honest companies of hard earned money, they seldom choose to advertise this. The whole business of being an SEO cowboy is to trick clients into believing that they are the good guys that will help you make the treacherous journey to the top of search rankings safely and in no time at all. The chances are, you won’t last long on the wagon train.
With businesses being hassled constantly by unsolicited emails and phone calls, it is important to determine what makes a good online marketer. So how can an SEO Cowboy be found? Even without a giveaway black ten gallon hat, it is simpler than you would think to separate the villains from the honest SEO guys. To find out if an SEO agency really know what they are doing, there are a few key things to consider.
- First of all, take a look at their website. What does the website look like, what is the website’s content like and more importantly, how are they ranked on Google? You should expect a good online marketer to practice what they preach on their own website. If they can’t do a decent job marketing themselves online, then how can you expect them to do a good job for you? If a potential SEO company approaches you and you can’t find their website, or it is dated and free of informative content, you would be wise to leave your cheque book in your wallet.
- Are they making unrealistic promises? Very often, if an SEO company is making a claim that seems too good to be true, that is because it is. As many businesses want instant results, SEO Cowboys often feed them what they want to hear, rather than telling them the truth. SEO is a time consuming process, and any company claiming that they will get you to the top of Google for numerous keywords overnight is likely to be using underhand tactics. Even though this may benefit you for a short time, it will do you considerable harm in the long run. Google is never fooled for long.
- It is a worrying sign if an Online Marketer trying to sell their services to you is not open about their strategies, or just bores you with jargon. If somebody claims that SEO is all a highly guarded secret, or talks at you, throwing big fancy buzz words in your face, there is a good chance that they aren’t entirely sure what they are talking about. Many Cowboys are great salesmen, but not so effective at SEO. It is also important to take note of what an SEO agency wants to know about you. A good online marketer should require as much information from you as possible about your products, services, competition, market and relevant keywords.
- Especially in the days since Google Penguin waddled into town, Social Media is an essential part of online marketing. Is your potential SEO company active on their social accounts? Do they use them correctly and effectively? If a suspected SEO Cowboy does not make regular posts, or if they don’t make relevant posts linking back to their website, they may not be too clued up on the latest Google algorithm changes and SEO techniques.
- Perhaps the most important thing to remember about SEO is that content is key. Google loves nothing more than content rich websites. Look at an SEO company’s content marketing efforts carefully to see the quality of their work. If an online marketing agency has a helpful website and a high quality blog on which they post great, informative and relevant articles on a regular basis, this is a very positive indicator that they know how to perform content marketing successfully.
Essentially, a good SEO company is an open company. Online marketers should be able to do for themselves what they claim to be able to do for you, and communicate with you on a regular basis so you both know what’s going on. For SEO to work successfully, it has to be a two way relationship, where the customer gets the same out of their online marketing consultant as they give to them.
Though many people have had negative experiences with the countless numbers of Cowboys marauding as online marketing experts, an SEO company can be a valuable addition to your business. Through honesty, communication, constant research and development, and most importantly, a cart load of hard work, the right company can help your business see excellent growth.